Thursday, July 15, 2010

Songs that Voices Never Share


A while back I posted a little note called "The Cardinal in the Wood." That particular post is one of my personal favorites so far, and I am writing this post as kind of a sequel to it. Recently, more or less by accident, I rediscovered the music of Simon and Garfunkel. I say "rediscovered" because my dad used to listen to them when I was little, but hearing them at 31 years old is a little bit different than hearing them at 6 years old. As I listened I remembered many of the songs from being in my dad's truck on the way to take off the trash or go fishing, but this time I was able to really hear and understand the lyrics. I have become a fan all over again.

I have been walking around the house singing "The Boxer" for the past couple of weeks, and that is just about to drive Nicole crazy. :) But this is not a plug for Simon and Garfunkel, and beyond just being entertaining, some of the lyrics have really been inspiring and thought provoking. If you are not familiar, let me share some lyrics from one of their songs. The song "The Sound of Silence" talks about the lack of emotional connection between people as many of us become so busy going through the motions of life and not really taking the time to get to know each other and let ourselves be known.

The singer is talking about a dream he had in which he saw masses of people, and here is how he descibed them: " . . . people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening, people writing songs that voices never shared: no one dared disturb the sound of silence." I heard this and began to think about some of these songs that we will never hear. I began to wonder how many of those songs have been born and then died inside of me. Obviously the word "songs" in this case means more than just songs. They could be songs, but they could also be ideas, poems, books, a conversation with our spouse or even just an encouraging word to the guy standing behind us in line at Starbucks.

I know it might sound cliche', but there really are "songs" inside you that are not inside anybody else. There are "songs" inside me that nobody else could ever write. If you and I don't share these, who will? About 11 years ago and bought a mandolin and have been learning to play ever since. I have written a handful of songs, and that's probably news to most of the people who might be reading this. That's because I've rarely shared them. I will probably never make a CD or have a song on the radio, but that's not what's important. The important thing is that I share them. What kind of songs are inside of you? I'm going to set a personal goal to start sharing mine . . . what are you going to do with yours?




No comments:

Post a Comment